Behind the strands!

Posted by Shanitra on Saturday, January 15, 2011. Filed under: , ,

Straightened on 12/03/10

My last relaxer was in September 2008. Th next few years that followed consisted of me flat ironing my hair every week, and I never truly embraced my natural hair. When I realized that straightening my hair so much was having the same effects as when my hair was relaxed, I had to take action. I longed to have long, healthy, thick, beautiful hair. I was no longer going to let anything stand in the way of that. Late July 2010 I decided I was not going to straighten my hair until the New Year, but instead I ended up having an epiphany so to speak. I learned that keeping heat from my hair for six months really wasn’t sensible. For instance, when January came, if I started back straightening my hair the same as before, the breakage would start all over. I realized I needed to change my hair care habits totally, and not just for a set time frame if I wanted to reach my goal of long hair. During this time, I began researching supplements and also diets that would promote hair growth. I ended up taking Biotin and Fish Oil supplements daily and making protein shakes about once a week. I actually ended up straightening my hair before the New Year, but maybe only about four times total.  From August 2010 to January 2011, my hair grew about three to five inches all over. I was able to cut off my damaged ends around November and wear a decent size afro (I got lots of compliments).  I have now realized that as long as I minimize heat, and wear my hair in natural styles my hair will grow longer faster. It sounds like a no brainer right? Still, I feel there are so many other women and young girls out there like myself who need to hear this too.

My Blowout on 01/08/2011
This blog will be my story and testament on my journey to long hair. I’m starting this blog to document my journey and my success, because I refuse to not be successful.  I felt that if I had others on this journey with me, it would be nearly impossible for me to fail. Today is January 15, 2011. The last time I straightened my hair was December 3rd until last weekend. Do you believe I was able to straighten my hair, and it was a decent, wearable length?  My hair was so thick, shiny, and healthy; all the more motivation to continue on my current hair care path. I love thinking that in another five months my hair will be double what it is now! I took a picture of my hair after I blew it out, although I look a little rough in the picture I will still post it so you can get an idea of the growth. I’ll be posting my hair care tips as well as monthly updates of my hair growth. Please join me on my journey. Advice and encouragement are very welcome. And remember, kinky curly hair CAN grow long and fast!!!

No Responses to Behind the strands!

Leave a Reply